BA Athletics Club May 2021
The government has confirmed that we will enter
stage three of the roadmap out of lockdown on
17th May. This step makes
difference to what we can do exercising outside, although it is more likely that
we will be able to get a drink or a meal after we exercise - albeit only in
groups of up to six (or two households) - but inside
seating is now permitted.
In the UK exercise outside is encouraged because it will boost physical and
mental health and because the risk of catching Coronavirus outdoors is very low
provided social distancing advice is kept to.
- Do not exercise outside the house if you have
been asked to isolate or you are unwell, particularly if you have
symptoms of the coronavirus such as a fever, or if you share a house with
someone who has these symptoms, or if you consider yourself to be vulnerable, such as being elderly
or with pre-existing
- You may drive to outdoor publicly accessible open
spaces without restraint, although car sharing is still not permitted except
in exceptional situations,
- Current rules allow informal groups of up
to 30 to meet outside and exercise
- As you exercise, keep 2m or 1m+ away from all others
including those you run with as well as those you meet on the run, by default diverting around
those you meet (don't leave it up to them to avoid you),
- Do not push yourself too far, this may weaken your defences against the
virus and/or increase the probability of requiring assistance. We all have
different limits so you need to judge what would be too far for you,
- If government instructions are updated to limit or prevent exercising
outside your homes, or to meet with fewer people, please respect such instructions - we should be fighting
the virus, not authority.
If you are unwell yourself, especially if you have symptoms of the virus:
- Put your needs first...
- but please let me (Roderick
Steve Hillier know of your condition/status, but we will keep it to
ourselves unless you ask us to pass information on.
Shared club activities are permitted.
Any club member is permitted to organise
a shared activity. Until everyone has had the opportunity to be protected by the
vaccine all participants should continue to follow the social distancing rules. We recommend the social distancing gap of 2metres although
"1meter+" can be followed during the activity itself. To legitimize a run with more than
chairman (Roderick) or the
(Steve Hillier) must be notified in advance that the event is taking
- One of the participants must be a paid-up member of the BA Athletics
Club and must be prepared to perform the duties of a "Covid-19 Coordinator",
if more than six attend we recommend that that member
should consider wearing a BAAC top or distinctive clothing,
- If the tiers are reintroduced then participants, and the activity, should not
cross the "Tier 3" boundary or the "Tier 4"
boundary (in either directions).
- A risk assessment has to be raised based on
- The considerations within the risk assessment must be followed,
- After the activity perform a review of the risk assessment and log and pass
on any issues or lessons learned.