|HOME NEWS DIARY||
baRUNNER - a website for the British Airways Athletics Club
BA Athletics Club News Digest 30th March 2015
New members and non-members of all fitness levels and abilities are welcome at all of these events. The full diary of club featured events is on the club website at: http://www.barunner.org.uk/Event Diary.shtml.
Running related gossip and chat: Facebook "BA Runner" (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/636199849751546/).
This news digest is being sent to you because you are on the BA Athletics Club email list. To be removed please email us at email@example.com. Difficulty viewing this email? Read it off the website instead - http://www.barunner.org.uk/News Latest.shtml.
European Silver Medalist
Racing in the European Masters Indoor Championship in the appropriately named town of Torun in Poland, Adrian Haines achieved second place in the 800 metres AND with a new personal best of 2:01.03. A PB at the age of 47 years and 339 days it perhaps wasn't surprising that Adrian was immediately asked to provide samples A and B for a drugs test. Nothing untoward was found.
obo Adrian Haines
Ed: ...and to think that some days I struggle to run 400m in 2:01!
Club parkrun results for Saturday 28th March 2015
There was an excellent turnout of members at the new Maidenhead parkrun and the fact that we had left our mob visit to the second week was very much appreciated by the team there who had had a bigger crowd at their inaugural than they really wanted. Pictured below: In addition to Alice Banks (added at the end), Roderick Hoffman, Monica Alonso, Tony Barnwell, Steve Newell, Alan Anderson, Neil Frediani and Janet Smith there was encouragement from Benita and John Scaife, marshalling out on the main loop.
Monica Alonso used the run at Maidenhead to chalk up her "50" so she can expect an invitation to apply for a red t-shirt in the near future. For Alan Anderson who doesn't venture away from Gunnersbury very often it was an opportunity to set a V75-79 record. With time running out before he moves up a division he will probably never return to defend it. It will be open for younger men like Brian Bennett to have a go. Gunnersbury parkrun was able to go ahead without Alan but it perhaps demonstrates his concern that they might have problems that he got himself up a whole hour early on Saturday morning. Still, he was well rehearsed for the clock change the rest of us had the next day.
Roderick proved the fastest club runner on the day on what was his 150th total parkrun and Tony Barnwell was also running his 75th. Alice would probably have challenged Roderick had she not been sitting at home at ten to nine thinking that the start was at 9:30. Sprinting from the car park she did cross the start line moments after the off but then had to navigate to overtake exactly 100 runners on the course in order to finish 74th. She did set the club best grade result and did treat the rest of us to coffee and doughnuts afterwards - and Roderick, Neil, Alan and Steve will probably record slower runs next Saturday as a consequence.
The course is 98% flat but the other 2% includes a gradient
rarely experienced in a parkrun and everyone should give it a try. For
drivers there is a large free car park and it is easy to get to from junction
8/9 of the M4.
Updated club parkrun stats: www.barunner.org.uk/results/ba_parkrun_park_totals.xls
Steve Newell (mainly - plus Roderick Hoffman for most of the less flattering stories)
Next w/e (4 April) is the first Saturday of month parkrun pacer day at Black Park again, now with a "19" added, to cover every minute from 19 to 33 minutes.
parkrun - A Celebration
If you run and you own a coffee table then you might like to consider getting yourself a copy of "parkrun - A Celebration". This is a collection of inspirational parkrun photographs and stories put together by a combination of professional enthusiasts and enthusiastic professionals. It is a great book to have on the coffee table to flick through at an idle moment but be warned that if you do so on a wet and measurable morning, instead of setting off for your training run, then you will end up feeling guilty - particularly with photographs of others running in extreme weather such as the one on page 95.
120 pages, 32x24.5cm. It costs £19.99 with free postage and with proceeds going towards setting up new parkruns. Available from wiggle http://www.wiggle.com/parkrun/.
Running Vests and Shirts Sale
We have some old stock that we are looking to give away at bargain prices!
Also see this attachment for photographs of each item.
For all your kit enquires please contact Paul Knechtl - Paul.A.Knechtl@BA.com
News for the next BAAC News Digest?
Please send items for inclusion in the next Digest. Results, news, pictures, feedback, jokes, stories - send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.